Steel runners and big curved metal brackets make sure that the gearbox can't lift up as the wheel turns.
One of 6 mills on the river Flit, the mill was originally built by the Monks of Dunstable Priory. Records show a mill on this site since the 1085 Domesday.
The crown wheel is a horizontally mounted wheel on the first floor, the 'stone floor'. It is connected via an upright shaft from the great spur wheel on the ground floor. The crown wheel drives a shaft on the first floor from which a number of belts were used to drive machines such as the bolder, corn cake crusher, oat-roller and extractor fan.